This blog is a way of sharing the information and resources that have helped me to recover my son Roo from an Autism Spectrum Disorder. What I have learned is to view our symptoms as the results of underlying biological cause, which can be identified and healed. I say "our symptoms" because I also have a neuro-immune disorder called Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.

And, of course, I am not a doctor (although I have been known to impersonate one while doing imaginative play with my son)- this is just our story and information that has been helpful or interesting to us. I hope it is helpful and interesting to you!


Thursday, May 13, 2010

Orthomolecular Medicine

Since I began my research into understanding what was going on with Roo and what to do about it, I have come across so many new ideas and areas of study.  It's as if there s a whole additional world hidden just below the surface of this one- a world that is invisible until you stumble upon it, but once you see it you realize it's all around you.  In the surface world, sick people go to the doctor and occasionally experience some improvement from symptoms, but often their illness continues or they continue to get sick and suffer.  Sometimes they catch sight of this other world, but if they ask, they will be told it is dangerous, a lie, and that it has never been shown to help anyone.  At some point many of us "cross over" into this other world either from sheer desperation, from accident, or because someone guides us there.  Once here we are greeted enthusiastically by those in this new world.  They welcome us, listen to us, and help us.  Soon many of us have achieved a level of health that we had become convinced we could never achieve.  We want so much to share this knowledge and to help others, so we try to carry the message of hope back to the surface world, where we are mostly met with disbelief, incredulity, and even bitter resentment.

Still, it is hard not to want to spread the word that there is so much hope and so many people are healing.  One of the most exciting things that I found in this new world is Orthomolecular Medicine.  This is an entire field of medicine that I had never heard of before.  Now that I know about it I do see it peacefully coexisting with conventional medicine around me, hidden in plain sight.  This article in Wikipedia gives an accurate depiction of the mainstream view of orthomolecular medicine.  Roo's DAN! doctor turns out to be somewhat familiar with it and of the things she has done the orthomolecular-based treatments have helped us all the most.  I say "helped us" because orthomolecular medicine recognizes the tendency of certain symptoms and traits to cluster in families moreso than conventional medicine and tends to "treat the family" more as a result.

The term Orthomolecular medicine was coined by Linus Pauling in 1968, which he described this way "Orthomolecular psychiatric therapy is the treatment of mental disease by the provision of the optimum molecular environment for the mind, especially the optimum concentrations of substances normally present in the human body."  I have seen in myself and my family such improvement by making use of the concepts of orthomolecular medicine, in particular Histadelia and Pyroluria.  I have also seen so much improvement in many others such that I cannot dismiss that this field of study has stumbled on some very significant truths.  I do not believe that they have everything figured out, nor do I claim to know that everything they say is correct, but learning more about what they have to offer has been so fruitful.  Below are some resources that I have found helpful in understanding more about Orthomolecular medicine.

 This is a long excerpt from the book Depression-Free, Naturally by Joan Mathews Larson, Ph.D.that gives a brief history of the field as well as some case examples and an overview of many of the basic concepts.  Here's a quote from the excerpt "What Pauling is telling us is that the human mind cannot operate in a vacuum because it is totally dependent on the brain and its molecular function to create your emotional health."

Search the archives of The Journal of Orthomolecular Medicine:
http://orthomolecular.org/library/jom/index.shtml

I will add more resources to this post soon.

Orthomolecular Psychiatry by Linus Pauling