This blog is a way of sharing the information and resources that have helped me to recover my son Roo from an Autism Spectrum Disorder. What I have learned is to view our symptoms as the results of underlying biological cause, which can be identified and healed. I say "our symptoms" because I also have a neuro-immune disorder called Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.

And, of course, I am not a doctor (although I have been known to impersonate one while doing imaginative play with my son)- this is just our story and information that has been helpful or interesting to us. I hope it is helpful and interesting to you!


Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mitochondria: Up Close and Personal

The concepts of biology and biochemistry that come up in biomedical intervention can seem very abstract, so I think it can be helpful to take a (virtual) look at what we are talking about.  Here are several videos that bring mitochondrial functioning to life.  This first one is a general one from the BioVisions project at Harvard:



 The next video was made by the group Mito Action about mitochondrial disease, but is also relevant to mitochondrial dysfunction.  Mito disease is much more rare, and more likely to be genetic, but is much more common in people with autism than the non-autistic population.  Mito dysfunction is usually acquired from exposure to toxins in the environment and free radical damage in the body.  This video has more detail and includes explanations of what you are seeing: