This blog is a way of sharing the information and resources that have helped me to recover my son Roo from an Autism Spectrum Disorder. What I have learned is to view our symptoms as the results of underlying biological cause, which can be identified and healed. I say "our symptoms" because I also have a neuro-immune disorder called Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.

And, of course, I am not a doctor (although I have been known to impersonate one while doing imaginative play with my son)- this is just our story and information that has been helpful or interesting to us. I hope it is helpful and interesting to you!


Saturday, November 25, 2017

Recipe- Warm Arugula Artichoke Dip

This recipe is modified from this one on the blog 40 Aprons

Warm Arugula Artichoke Dip

Ingredients:

1 T cooking fat (bacon fat works well)
2 cloves of garlic, minced (smoked or roasted garlic is especially good)
I large box or two bags of arugula, wilted and with the water squeezed out
1 14 oz. can of artichoke hearts, chopped into chunks
3 green onions, sliced
1 c. yogurt, non-dairy yogurt, or coconut milk (full fat or coconut cream)
½ c. mayonnaise
¼ c. tahini
¼ c. milk substitute (hemp works well)
1 T fresh lemon juice
Several pinches each of turmeric and cayenne
½ tsp onion powder
½ tsp garlic powder
Salt and Pepper to taste
Smoked paprika to sprinkle on top just before serving
2 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled (optional)

Method:

Heat oil in skillet and sauté the garlic for about 30 seconds until it begins to soften and smell good.

Add the arugula and artichoke hearts, stir and continue to sauté until well warmed and the excess liquid has evaporated.

Add in remaining ingredients and continue stirring over moderate heat until very well combined and nicely warmed.  Sprinkle top with smoked paprika and optional crumbled bacon.


The dip can served as is, or some or all of it can be pureed to make it creamier.  If you can have cheese melt a layer of cheese on the top under the broiler.