This blog is a way of sharing the information and resources that have helped me to recover my son Roo from an Autism Spectrum Disorder. What I have learned is to view our symptoms as the results of underlying biological cause, which can be identified and healed. I say "our symptoms" because I also have a neuro-immune disorder called Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.

And, of course, I am not a doctor (although I have been known to impersonate one while doing imaginative play with my son)- this is just our story and information that has been helpful or interesting to us. I hope it is helpful and interesting to you!


Thursday, December 10, 2020

Cheez Sauce (Dairy Free)

 Cheez Sauce

3 cups mashed vegetables

(any combo of carrots, potatoes, sweet potatoes, yams, pumpkin, butternut or other squash, golden beets, cauliflower, parsnip, etc.  I think the flavor is best when several of these vegetables are used together.)

 1/4 c cooked onion, pureed

1/4 c olive oil (or other bland liquid oil)

2 T tapioca starch

1 T gelatin powder

1 T apple cider vinegar

2 tsp nutritional yeast

1-2 tsp onion powder

1/2 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp mustard powder (or prepared mustard)

1 tsp turmeric

1/2 c water or broth to thin the mixture if needed

Optional- cayenne, chili powder, green chilies, pimentos, fresh garlic, fresh herbs such as cilantro, dill, chives, or even curry powder.

Boil and steam the vegetables then mash/puree them.  

Add all additional ingredients and puree in the blender.