This blog is a way of sharing the information and resources that have helped me to recover my son Roo from an Autism Spectrum Disorder. What I have learned is to view our symptoms as the results of underlying biological cause, which can be identified and healed. I say "our symptoms" because I also have a neuro-immune disorder called Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.

And, of course, I am not a doctor (although I have been known to impersonate one while doing imaginative play with my son)- this is just our story and information that has been helpful or interesting to us. I hope it is helpful and interesting to you!


Monday, September 9, 2013

Why Comments Have Been Disabled

Several weeks ago I disabled the comments feature on this blog.  There are several reasons, but the primary reason is that blogs such as mine- that discuss the hows and whys of autism recovery- are subject to a lot of vicious hate mail.  Most of the time I ignored it (I was moderating comments for this reason), and a few times I chose to publish them to let people see the angry vitriol thrown the way of those who advocate that people with autism deserve to receive the basic medical care that others are given.  In 2013 I experienced a severe trauma and worsening of my health (including diagnosis of at least 5 rare and serious diseases) and have just not been able to emotionally deal with this constant onslaught of verbal abuse.  My original plan was to shut down the blog but I have been convinced to leave it up in this form.  To those of you who left comments hoping to get health advice from me, I sincerely wish that I could put the time into helping each and every one of you.  As a mom of two kids and someone busy with my own life, I am just not able to do this.  I hope that you find the resources on this blog helpful and that you find competent professional medical help.  Or, if that proves too elusive, I hope you at least find a unicorn as they are somewhat less rare.  Thank you for understanding. 

On this subject, here is an article about research on internet trolls, and how they really are as bad as we think they are:
Internet Trolls Really Are Horrible People