This blog is a way of sharing the information and resources that have helped me to recover my son Roo from an Autism Spectrum Disorder. What I have learned is to view our symptoms as the results of underlying biological cause, which can be identified and healed. I say "our symptoms" because I also have a neuro-immune disorder called Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.

And, of course, I am not a doctor (although I have been known to impersonate one while doing imaginative play with my son)- this is just our story and information that has been helpful or interesting to us. I hope it is helpful and interesting to you!


Tuesday, October 29, 2013

More stories of Recovery From Autism

I wrote a post quite awhile back about how recovery stories were so important to me early on in this journey with Roo (Recovery From Autism Spectrum Disorders).  I have come across many more stories since that time, and at first intended to add them to that post, but it didn't seem quite fitting.  I have decided instead to post another collection here.

Stan Kurtz, the father of a recovered child, set up this site to share stories of recovery from autism.

Our Journey with Autism is from a family's sweet blog.

Amanda's Journey

Daniel's Recovery From Autism (this is a webinar that will happen in August of 2014)

Hidden Recovery (a blog by a the mom of a recovered child)

Raun Kaufman is the CEO of the Autism Treatment Center of America (providers of the Son-Rise Program), and is himself recovered from autism.  I had the opportunity to hear him speak several years back, and it was amazing.  I had heard many people dismiss his story of recovery, saying that he was clearly still autistic.  I saw nothing like that at all.  Hearing him speak was deeply inspiring to me.

Autism in not Forever: Bill and Jo Krueger and their daughter Chanel.

Stories of recovery from the Dana's View site

Meet Simon- Fully Recovered From Autism is an interview with a man who has recovered, talking about the experience. 

My Bad Ass Autism Survivor Story by Julia Berle, who is the mother of a recovered child, provides some insight into the gray areas around recovery, including the idea that recovery itself may also be a spectrum.

Autism Yesterday is a short documentary about several kids who have recovered from Autism.

Reversing Autism is a short film introducing the biomed approach but includes discussion of recovery and recovered kids.

This is a TED talk given by a girl who is recovered, and her father, about her experience of the process.  I found it so deeply moving.