This blog is a way of sharing the information and resources that have helped me to recover my son Roo from an Autism Spectrum Disorder. What I have learned is to view our symptoms as the results of underlying biological cause, which can be identified and healed. I say "our symptoms" because I also have a neuro-immune disorder called Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.

And, of course, I am not a doctor (although I have been known to impersonate one while doing imaginative play with my son)- this is just our story and information that has been helpful or interesting to us. I hope it is helpful and interesting to you!


Friday, March 23, 2018

Techniques, Tips, and Tricks for Making Fun Sweet Treats (Cakes, Candy, etc.)

I love to cook and bake and enjoy the challenge of adapting recipes and techniques into ones that work for various special diets and eating preferences.  Most of these recipes and techniques use ingredients such as artificial colors and corn syrup that many people avoid eating as well as common allergens such as dairy, gluten, and corn.  Below are links to videos and resources that demonstrate techniques, methods, and ideas that I'd like to use in adapting recipes.  They are NOT included for the recipes themselves.  I hope you have as much fun as I do playing with your food!

General:
How to Cook That (fancy cakes, chocolate, and desert)
The First Year blog has so many fun ideas for decorating desserts
My Cake School Blog Cake Recipes and Free Cake Tutorials

Candy:
More cookie art
How to make 3D cookie tea cups
Gluten-free milk and cookie shots
S'mores blossom cookies
Cookie ice cream cones
Strawberry Cookies (Sound cookies)- these amazing cookies have a clear compartment with smaller cookies inside like a rattle

Cake:
How to make a cake (teaches the basics of cake making from start to finish, very detailed)
How to make a basic ice cream cake
How to bake a heart inside of a cupcake
Inside-out rainbow cake
Making a geode cake
How to make geode cake pops
Snow globe Christmas cupcakes
Cakecrumbs (blog with instructions for many different amazing cakes)
Spherical planetary cakes with scientifically accurate layers
Rubik's cube cake
Red velvet brain cake for Halloween
Long snake cake (from Harry Potter?)

How to Make Frosting:
Chocolate Ganache Recipe - 3 Ways! (Whipped, Poured and Spread Frosting)
(melt with double boiler instead of microwave)
The Science Behind Chocolate Ganache
9 Essential Frosting Recipes

How to Decorate with Frosting:
LEGO brownies
How to Fill and Frost a Perfect Cake Like a Pro
Learn How to Fill a Pastry Bag and Pipe
(Apple roses, ombre frosting, drippy edge)

Marshmallows: