This blog is a way of sharing the information and resources that have helped me to recover my son Roo from an Autism Spectrum Disorder. What I have learned is to view our symptoms as the results of underlying biological cause, which can be identified and healed. I say "our symptoms" because I also have a neuro-immune disorder called Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.

And, of course, I am not a doctor (although I have been known to impersonate one while doing imaginative play with my son)- this is just our story and information that has been helpful or interesting to us. I hope it is helpful and interesting to you!


Monday, July 27, 2020

Simple Grain and Starch Sides

Garlic Bread

Make a paste of a combo of oil or melted butter and shortening or softened butter, add garlic that has been grated on a fine microplane, and garlic powder (and/or garlic granules) that has been "bloomed" in a small amount of water.  Onion powder and a small amount of cayenne are optional.  Toast bread in foil in a 450 oven. 

Fall Rice Pilaf

Cook 1 cup of a mix of brown and wild rice in broth (turkey or chicken works well).  Saute 1 sliced large leek, several diced ribs of celery, about 1/3 cup of diced parsnip, about a 1/4 cup of dried cranberries, a generous amount of rubbed sage, and chopped chestnuts if you can eat them.  Let cook for 5 to 10 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.

Greek Lemon Rice

2 cups rice (basmati or jasmine work well)
4 cups stock
Juice of 1 lemon
2 large sprigs fresh rosemary
Salt and pepper to taste

Bring ingredients to a boil, then simmer 15 to 20 minutes.

Persian Dill Rice with Peas

Korean Purple/Black Rice